If you want prevent an application from accessing the internet on Windows 11 and Windows 10 computers, here’s how. There are mainly two methods to prevent an application from using the Internet connection on your computer: using Windows Defender Firewall and using third-party software.
Suppose you want to hand your computer over to your kid for educational use, and your kid needs to read books offline. On the other hand, your computer is still connected to the Internet for some reason. At such a time, if you want to prevent your child from accessing the internet through a browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge, this tutorial will be useful for you. Whether it is a browser, a game, or anything else, you can prevent this program from using the Internet on your computer.
How to prevent an application from accessing the Internet
To prevent an app from accessing the Internet using Windows Defender Firewall, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Defender Firewall on your PC.
- Click on the Advanced settings option.
- Select the Outgoing rules on the left side.
- Click on the New rule option on the right side.
- To select Program and click on the Following button.
- To select This program path > click on the Browse button.
- Choose the program that you want to prevent from accessing the Internet.
- Click it Following button.
- To select Block connection option and click Following.
- To select Domain, Private, and Public options> click on the Following button.
- Enter the name of the firewall rule and click the button To finish button.
To learn more about these steps, keep reading.
First, you need to find the firewall in the search box on the taskbar and click on the individual search result to open Windows Defender Firewall on your computer. Then click on the Advanced settings on the left side and click the Outgoing rules.
On the right side you can find an option called New rule. Click on it to create a new firewall rule to prevent the program from using the internet connection on your PC.
Here you can find several options, such as Schedule, Port, Preset and Custom. You must select the Program option and click the Following button.
Then you will have the option to prevent a specific program or all programs from using the Internet on your PC. If you want to block a particular application, you must choose the This program path option, click the Browse and select the installation file.
Then click on the Following button. After that you have to choose the Block connection option and click the Following option.
Now you will find three options or types of connections – Domain, Private, and Public. You have to select the three options and click on the button Following button.
Finally, enter the name of your firewall rule and click on the button To finish button.
Once done, you cannot use the internet on the program you have selected. In order to re-enable Internet access, you must remove the firewall rule. To do this, right-click on the rule you created to prevent the program from accessing the Internet, and select the To delete option.
How do I prevent an application from accessing the Internet using third-party software?
If you don’t want to follow all of the above-mentioned steps to prevent a program from using the internet on your Windows 11/10 PC, you can use third-party software. There are many tools available in the market.
- For example, you can use ProgCop, which blocks any program from accessing the Internet within moments. The user interface is clean and the setup doesn’t take a lot of time. You can easily add a program to the list and remove it at any time.
- The second tool is OneClickFirewall. Sometimes you may need to make all the changes directly from the context menu. If so, you can use this software on your computer. The best thing about this tool is that you can get an option called Block internet access in the context menu of the right click on all programs.
How do I prevent a program from accessing the Internet except one?
You can prevent all programs from accessing the Internet, except one in particular, by using Windows Defender Firewall. You need to create a new outbound rule that blocks all programs at once. To do this, select the All the programs when it asks you to choose the program you want to block. You need to create a new outbound rule that allows the desired application to access the Internet.
Related: How to allow or block a program in Windows Firewall.
How do I prevent a program from accessing the Internet in Windows 11?
There are mainly two ways to prevent a program from accessing the Internet in Windows 11. You can use Windows Defender Firewall or a third-party tool. If you need convenience, you can opt for ProgCop or OneClickFirewall. However, if you need more flexibility on the options, you should choose the firewall method.
That’s all! Hope this guide has helped you.